Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Is ClassDojo a Useful Tool For Classroom Behavior Management?




As I speak to many beginning teachers I am often hearing the same horror stories. 

  • I can't handle these kids! 
  • The students are just out of control!
  •  I just don't know what to do. 
  • Any suggestions before I lose my mind? 


 Managing classroom behavior is a critical component of being an effective teacher. 
  • If you can't manage your classroom early on in the year, then you will have a difficult time for the remainder of the year. 

 In order to manage your classroom you must be:

  •  Consistent in what you do on a day to day basis. Teaching can be an arduous task if you allow it to be. I learned that you have to work smarter, not harder in this wonderful profession. 

My story...

 The biggest problems that I faced as a first year teacher was that I couldn't teach if none of the students were listening to me speak. I tried effortlessly for the first few months, however nothing seemed to work. 

The yelling and screaming only worked so long, until I was burnt out and out of words literally.  

 The problem that I noticed was that students were simply not motivated to do their work and behave in class. I tried in many ways to talk to the students and explain the importance of doing their work and behaving, however nothing seemed to work.

I've got the solution

My solution was found...

I finally decided to search for a solution to my problem. I began to learn that students were much more willing to pay attention if I can convince them that there is a reward or prize for their effort. 

 I needed to find a way to publically reward my students, thus allowing them to feel a sense of accomplishments for their efforts. The students seemed to respond very well to friendly competition. 

 I figured if I can find a way to create a competitive atmosphere in my classroom, yet reward students for appropriate behavior then I may have a win-win situation.


 I finally found what I have been looking for, it was ClassDojo. This program is simply amazing. Please read the various stories that are found on their website. What I also loved about the program was that it not only allowed me to manage my class, but also use technology at the same time. 


 Please try it out for yourself and comment on this post with your thoughts and opinions of the program. What did you like most? Least? Do you think that ClassDojo a Useful Tool For Classroom Behavior Management? 

Check out this program and see for yourself

Pictures found on the following website: 

 ClassDojo image. Digital image. Https://www.classdojo.com/. ClassDojo, n.d. Web. 30 Dec. 2014. <https://www.classdojo.com/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment